Friday, June 11, 2010

France and Goodbye to Europe

Geography: We read more stories from and about France and colored the map and flag. We were planning on going to Spain next and then Italy, but we've now decided to go straight to Africa. I really wanted to spend time on these countries, especially since I know some Spanish and both countries have a lot history. But Govinda really wants to go to Africa because there are more animals there, and then the interlibrary loan only had a few stories for Spain and Italy and tons of books for Africa. So, we're going with the flow and will learn more about the countries we missed later on. I plan to spend two months in Africa, starting with two weeks on animals, then Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa. After Africa, we will sail to Australia, then stop at Antarctica on the way to South America, and ending with North America.

We are continuing our 'Summer Break' while the days are long and weather is hot to play outside a lot and have fun. Ever since my birthday, Govinda is really excited about his birthday in October. He has so many desires, so I followed the advice from a great book called How To Talk So Kids Will Listen And How To Listen So Kids Will Talk and asked him to make a wish list...write down or draw everything he wants. This helps them fell some satisfaction even if they never get it...just to be acknowledged is so important for young ones. So, he took off with this, drawing an elaborate picture of road construction gear with a hard hat and neon green shirt and orange cones. On another day, he asked me how to spell 'battery', and I asked why, and he said he wants a red train with a switch and a battery. He drew the train and I wrote out his wish on the board and he copied it. I'll have to take pictures, as it's quite amazing how capable children are of doing academics when they are truly interested.

In the meantime, we've been doing deep cleaning and cooking fun together lately. The boys love making bread and rolling out dough and using cookie cutters. I've been reading a lot lately on helping the boys grow up healthy and find solutions to their problems (usually about sharing). I have a new appreciation for psychology now that I've seen the difference in reactions I can cause in kids by saying things in different ways. I've also been going back more towards all the waldorf style of teaching (art and story based) that I originally set out to do before changing to a more living books classical style, and now I'm trying to find an eclectic balance between them before we move on. Thanks again to everyone who cares about us. We love you! Take care and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment